Personal training sessions are a great way to reduce unwanted fat. Can you guess what the other half of the formula to good health is? Of course, it is nutrition! But did you know that including healthy fats in your diet can actually help you maintain a healthy weight and body fat?
Dietary fat has always been an interest of mine because it serves so many important functions in our body. It has also been on my radar because of the media's manipulation of the facts (Booo!). Here is what you need to know:
1. The medias misleading message that a low-fat diet is the healthiest diet is dangerous to the public because of their lack of nutrition education and inability to decipher nutrition fact from fiction.
2. Just some of the essential roles that dietary fat play in the body are their structural and functional parts within the cell membrane, brain development, proper vision, gene regulation, and regulating metabolism.
3. If you remember one thing, please remember this - Saturated and trans fats are the unhealthy fats to avoid.Things like fried foods and margarine are made up of these types of fat. The FDA recommends less than 10% of our daily intake is saturated fat. This will vary depending on your body composition and your health goals. Please limit the fired foods that you consume if you want to optimize your sports performance.
4. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are the two healthy kinds we want to look for. These contain omega 3 fatty acid, which helps to balance inflammation levels, improve brain function, and promote cell structure integrity. A few of my favorite sources are olive oil, avocados, nuts (specifically peanut butter), fish, and coconut oil.
5. Specifically for athletes, increasing healthy fats each day has been shown to support your cardiovascular system, protect joints, and leads to healthy skin. Dietary fat is also a main energy source for endurance athletes.
2. Phillips SM. A brief review of higher dietary protein diets in weight loss: a focus on athletes. Sports Med. 2014 Nov;44 Suppl 2:S149-53.