Last weekend I was fortunate enough to attend Tim Henriques's 'All About Power Lifting' seminar. He is the director and owner of National Personal Training Institute of Virginia and has been a competitive power lifter for more than 20 years. He knows his stuff.
I love lifting heavy things, but I am still just learning. I only have a year under my belt (Haha lifting puns).
Here is a few things that I wanted to share with you:
1. I highly recommend his fantastic book! You can find it on AllAboutPowerlifting.com or on Amazon.
2. He not only talks about how to find the right pre workout and post workout foods for training days, but also what to eat on competition day to feel fueled for your best performance.
3. He address the difference in processed foods and whole foods. The example he uses is eating a bowl of rice versus eating a bowl of Doritos and then training legs. You're going to feel very different after eating each of those foods.
4. He discusses water! It is the sixth essential nutrient to the body and too many people forget about it when they are making diet recommendations. I was pleased that recognizes proper hydration in terms of training and performance.
5. "The food you eat can have a very powerful effect on how you perform in the gym and on the platform." I love that he said this. Too many athletes get hung up on supplements and miss out on the true power of food as fuel.
Thank you for a very informative day Tim!