The theory behind the use of Medium Chain Triglyceride, or MCT oil is that it is directly transported to the hepatic portal vein for energy instead of the normal lipid digestive process, which can take much longer. It is also hypothesized that the energy from MCT oil does not convert into body fat if it is not utilized. There is research that shows when cooking with coconut oil, the heat does not denature the fatty acid in these oils like it does in some of the others.
How can MCT oil aid in your athletic performance?
1. MCT oil can help in weight management because of its positive effect on leptin receptors by assisting in keeping you feeling fuller longer.
2. Some studies have suggested that MCT oil can help to improve cognitive function.
3. For high intensity athletes and endurance athletes, it is an excellent source of energy to fuel yourself through even the most intense workouts.
4. MCT oil is supportive of good gut health, since it has the capability to combat harmful bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites.
5. It contains antioxidant properties that have far-reaching inflammatory benefits.