Updated: Mar 3, 2020
It can be tempting to try a detox diet or a detox supplement. You might see an ad or a popup
that claims amazing results or even scares you into thinking you need to follow a specific diet. This quick fix can be challenging to ignore, especially for athletes in sports with weight classes.
I want to point out just five reasons why following a detox diet is not the right choice.
1. Your kidneys and liver already do this naturally. You body is designed to take care of day to day toxins. And it does an excellent job at this. One of the best ways to detox is to sweat.
2. There is no evidence indicating that any detox diet work, for weight loss or for removing toxins in your body.
3. Many of these products are not third party tested. This can be dangerous for athletes who are being drug tested. You do not want to find out the hard way that you were accidentally taking a banned substance. Or that one of these substances is working against you worsening your training.
4. Some of these products can be harsh on the body and can kill off the good bacteria in your gut. This is the good bacteria that actually works with your immune system to protect you. Many of these detox diets will severely restrict protein, which as we all know now that protein is a key player in recovery and supporting muscle growth.
5. A detox diet is not going to advance your physical performance. Cleansing your body with a supplement is not going to work the way you want it too. Some detox diets may help you lose weight quickly, but this is often due to dehydration (water weight) and this weight loss is not sustainable. Meaning the weight is going to come right back as soon as you eat normally again. This can also be harmful to the body to do these types of diets repeatedly.
If you want to restart, clean up your diet, and cleanse your body then drinking plenty of water and eating a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds will accomplish this. And remember to always wash your produce - even if it is organic.